The recent murder of San Franciscan, Kate Steinle, by a seven-time documented felon and fivetime deported illegal alien has finally focused long overdue attention on the “sanctuary” policies of over 300 American cities that refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities. But the murder of Ms. Steinle is hardly an isolated event. These insidious sanctuary policies are directly responsible for criminal victimization of thousands of our fellow citizens at the hands of illegal aliens.
And, of course, the Obama administration has adopted what is essentially a nationwide sanctuary policy by refusing to enforce many aspects of existing immigration law. In fact, in 2010 it proudly announced it would forego legal action against sanctuary jurisdictions.
It’s absurd for a city or state to adopt a policy of refusing to obey federal law. Wasn’t ignoring federal law the policy of southern segregationists trying to thwart federal civil rights laws and against whom the National Guard was called out? And isn’t this what some Kentucky county clerks and officials in other states are doing in refusing to issue same sex marriage licenses and against whom the ACLU is taking legal action?
These sanctuary policies also contribute to a loss of respect for the law generally. Our citizens have to obey the law. Why should our state and local governments ignore the law, especially for the benefit of illegal aliens? Government at all levels has a duty to enforce the law, especially where non-enforcement is literally killing our fellow citizens. In fact, Ms. Steinle’s killer admitted that he was in San Francisco because of its sanctuary policies.
And it’s not just in sanctuary cities where our citizens have fallen prey to illegal alien criminals. The total collapse of federal immigration enforcement has led to the deaths of many of our fellow Kentuckians at the hands of illegal aliens, such as:
• Local attorney Mark Hinkle, five-year old Blake Cohorn, of Lexington, and Wanda Beach, of Pulaski County, all killed in just the last 3 years by illegal aliens driving drunk;
• Douglas Saylor, of Lexington, murdered in June 2012 by an illegal alien ; and
• For those with a longer memory, UK student Chris Maier, killed in Lexington in 1997 by the infamous illegal alien, Angel Resendiz, aka the “Railroad Killer”.
And these aren’t isolated cases of illegal alien criminality in Kentucky. Records of the Fayette County Detention Center obtained by Americans First disclose that since 2010 over 1,200 illegal aliens have been booked into that facility for murder, kidnapping, rape and felonious assault, among other crimes.
Despite the efforts of illegal alien apologists and open borders advocates to conceal it, an illegal alien crime wave is sweeping America. Consider these staggering facts:
• According to a 2011 study by the GAO based on FBI statistics, illegal aliens commit murder at nearly 10 times the rate of all U.S. inhabitants.
• Illegals account for only 3.5% of U.S population, but represented 36.7% of federal sentences in 2014 according to the U.S. Sentencing Commission;
• DHS reported in 2014 that legal and illegal immigrants comprise some 20% of prisoners in America;
•According to the March 2015 “ICE Weekly Departures and Detention Report”, 168,680 convicted criminal immigrants subject to removal orders and another 179,018 convicted immigrants with deportation cases pending were at large.
• In 2013 and 2014 the Obama administration released 66,565 criminal illegal immigrants who had 167,059 convictions, including 279 homicide, 799 sexual assault and 489 kidnapping convictions.
And of course, illegally entering our country is itself a crime against which federal authorities take virtually no enforcement action. Government’s first priority is to protect our citizens’ safety.
Instead of creating sanctuaries for illegal aliens, the federal government should end all federal aid to cities with “sanctuary” policies. And American cities and states should turn this diabolical idea on its head and create “citizen sanctuaries” by adopting policies such as:
• Strictly cooperating with federal authorities in enforcing existing immigration law;
• Mandating employer use of the E-Verify system to deny employment to illegal aliens and imposing severe penalties on employers who fail to comply or hire illegal aliens. Cities such as Lexington can legally enact such laws; they are not pre-empted by federal law.
• Adopting a law like that in Fremont, Nebraska requiring landlords to verify legal status of all tenants or be fined;
• Denying driver’s licenses to illegal aliens and increasing criminal penalties for driving without a license or insurance, or under the influence; and
• Cutting off all welfare benefits and other financial assistance to illegal aliens. Our nation exists for the benefit of our citizens, not illegal aliens.
It’s time our governments enacted policies to protect our citizens from illegal alien criminals who have no right to even be in our country.